perjantai 5. kesäkuuta 2009

supernova condensate


Previous Entry | Next Entry

Astrophysicist's Phrasebook

how is a man ..animales en via de extincion en pereira.


  • 10th May, 2009 at 11:54 AM
Happy Star
I still think it's a pity I missed Talk Like A Physicist Day back in March. Unfortunately I think I was rather busy with one thing or another at the time, but c'est la vie. In any case, if ever you find yourself at a social event with any physics bods, here's a quick guide to some of the lingo. As a bonus, this is a revised version especially for astrophysicists.

Try using a few of these easy phrases in casual conversation. Your friends will find it hilarious and want to buy you drinks!*


Anomalous
Something isn't strange. It's anomalous.
- There's some anomalous van parked outside.

Atypical
Something isn't unusual. It's atypical.
- The seminar's on a Tuesday this week? Huh. That's atypical.

Canonical
Use in place of "standard" or "usual".
- Coffee is my canonical morning drink.

Dark ...
Use as a prefix for anything you're not sure about, or can't find.
- I've searched my hard drive and can't find it. I guess it must be a dark pdf.

Discontinuity
(See Some Discrepancy).

Empirical Data
Anything from personal experience or observation is "based on empirical data".
- Based on empirical data, I wouldn't ask her to lunch again.

Epoch
Use to refer to time. Vaguely.
- Don't worry, I'll finish the work. Just maybe not this epoch.

Extrapolation
A reasonably educated guess.
- I'd extrapolate that he's hung over and he's not coming in this morning.

First-Order Approximation
1. May be used to replace "about".
- Yeah, my desk is tidy to a first-order approximation.
2. Can also have derogatory usage.
- This is only a first-order approximation to a cup of coffee!

Ground State
It's not laziness. It's your ground state.
- Man, I can't seem to get out of my ground state this morning.

Negligible
Anything really small.
(Note: if it's virtually nothing, "negligible" can be replaced by "infinitessimal")
- My motivation is negligible right now.

Non-linear
It isn't complicated. It's non-linear.
- How to get to the cafeteria? Well, it's a bit non-linear...

Non-trivial
It isn't difficult. It's non-trivial.
- Organise the party? Oh man... This is going to be non-trivial.

Orders of magnitude
Used to refer to large discrepancies.
(See also Within an order of magnitude).
- I'm still an order of magnitude away from finishing this book.

Orthogonal
Use for things which are mutually exclusive, or can't coincide.
- I know he's been in the office, but I haven't seen him all week. Our schedules must be orthogonal at the moment.

Photons
It's not light. They're photons.
- It's getting dark in here. I need more photons.

Photon flux
(As with photons).
- Could you open the blinds? I need a higher photon flux to read by.

Prototypical example
The first of something.
- I thought I'd make pancakes again. The prototypical example from last Tuesday was pretty good!

Potential Well
Anything which can trap you. May refer to both physical and conceptual things.
1 - I'm stuck in the potential well of apathy right now.
2 - Sorry, my meeting later is a potential well. I can't get out of it.


Redshifted
Anything which is very old.
- I wouldn't read that paper. It's so old it's actually redshifted.

Some Discrepancy
When things aren't quite right.
- There's some discrepancy between my memory of last night and how much money I have left in my wallet.

Vanishingly small
(See Negligible).

Within an order of magnitude
Use as "close enough".
- What? I was on time... To within an order of magnitude.

Within error bars
Similar to Within an order of magnitude, but not as close.
- I look just like Johnny Depp, within error bars.


*Actually, your friends will probably just think you're incredibly geeky and give you funny looks, but with the kind of people I like to hang around with, that's pretty much the same thing.



(...And yes, some of these have been stolen from various places on the internet).

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Oma blogiluettelo

    https://www.facebook.com/valtioopinseniorit

    Blogiarkisto